Friday, July 24, 2009

Bueller? Bueller?

Semi-random question for any ladies who have completed an IVF cycle (or are post-transfer already): do your prog shots cause skin reactions at all? Mine are leaving small bruises (no alarms, no surprises) but are also causing some decent sized welts that are a little red and warm to touch. It takes 24 hours for the reaction to occur, suggesting delayed type hypersensitivity (local immune reaction). They get marginally better within a day or so. The nurse suggested that I have the prog-in-oil compound switched to olive oil, until I informed her that it IS in olive oil (I guess some other oils tend to cause site reactions). She assured me that the skin reaction in no way impairs the efficacy of the hormone and is just an inconvenience to me (as if the rest of IVF is like a vacation). Any thoughts, experience, suggestions (I know some of you are nurses.....)?

 

4 comments:

BB said...

I will be starting mine tonight, so I don't know how I will be reacting... but my nurse mentioned that I should put a hot wash cloth over it, massage a little and walk around a little bit after the injection and that normally helps.

'Murgdan' said...

I didn't have to do PIO...used vaginal supps instead. However I do know this is a common localized allergic reaction to the oil....I don't think there's anything much you can do for it unfortunately...I've read of people having a really tough time.

JB said...

Reaction continued on the first side but is resolving, and on the other side - nothing! Weird. I only have to live with it for another week, and then it will either be A) worth it for a few more weeks or B) over. Obviously, I'm hoping to remain suffering.

BB said...

JB... how are your shots going and how are you holding up? My PIO doesnt seem to be acting up as yet, but I do feel sore on my rear! This wait seems never ending! When is your beta? Lots of sticky vibes your way!!! {HUGS}