Friday, April 23, 2010

Welcome Back, Kotter

Nausea is back. Like it ever really left; the little fucker just went dormant for a week or two to lull me into a false sense of relief, only to restrike like an angry cobra. An angry, queasy cobra.

Only it has morphed. I have entered a second trimester sneezing phase, which brings on sneezes that easily register 6.3 on the Richter scale. And they are often double or triple sneezes. And they also cause a mean gag reflex, which makes me dry heave. I know, right? Full of awesome. I am just hoping for no more wet heaves. [sigh]

And enter the insomnia. I have struggled with insomnia for many years, mostly due to an overactive brain that doesn't know when to shut off (and stay off) at night. I've been getting up 1-2 times each night since around 7 weeks to visit the loo, but now I get to toss and turn for hours in the middle of the night with hip pain and abdominal discomfort. Super-duper. KB bought me a body pillow that now forms The Great Wall in our queen-size bed, and I'm still experimenting with how to even use it to get comfortable. When he brought it home I immediately snuggled up with it on the bed and basically have been humping it every night since. (I am thinking of naming it George Clooney, or perhaps Johnny Depp. Any other suggestions?) But that hasn't stopped me from ending up on the couch a few nights a week for the past few weeks, just from sheer frustration with the tossing and turning, irritation that the dog snores in the middle of the night are much louder than I ever knew when I actually slept, and anxiety that I will never sleep again. I can take a TylenolPM if I so desire, but then I worry I'll become a bedwetter (since I have to get up to wee at night). Shite.

So that's how the second trimester is shaping up as I near the 5th month. When will this blissful, energy-filled, symptom-free, libido-boosting mythical period of reprieve reveal itself? Lies, people. Lies.

7 comments:

Kait said...

I'm so sorry your nausea is back. That is horrible. I was so happy when mine finally went away at 14 weeks. I was so sick of running out the back door of my classroom to puke in the bushes! I have to say, I never had the burst of energy or the libido that some people experience. Having said that, the energy I had during 2nd trimester was better than 1st and 3rd. The 3rd trimester is pretty brutal. I have constant hip pain and mid-back pain and I still have 8 weeks to go! So as hard as it might seem, enjoy 2nd trimester while it lasts!!!!

Trinity said...

SHARK FARTS! Thumbs way down to boomerang nausea!

I have to say, Jen. You're really selling me on the whole pregnancy thing. ;) I would name the pillow after my secret crush, the Rock. Don't ask me where my fondness for this man comes from. IT'S A MYSTERY.

JB said...

Trinity, don't be discouraged by my sad tales of woe. My OB tells me I am unusual in the scheme of things. How fortunate. YOU, however, will have a perfect, uneventful pregnancy filled with sunshine and unicorn farts (not shark farts). :)

Lisa's mom said...

Hope you feel better soon. Pregancy nausea sucks just as much as having the flu day after day after day. You're thrilled to be pregnant, but no so thrilled to be puking constantly. Anyway, a very belated congrats on this successful Hail Mary cycle. I have followed you, Hope for Joy, Eileen, Jenicini, and a few others since last summer when my daughter was so very lucky to have a BFP on her first try. As soon as she called to say her water broke, we hopped a plane and made it in time for the birth. As I type, they are just leaving the hospital with their precious little boy. I must tell you again, that I love your candid and spot on advice to everyone. Even in the midst of your disappointments with the first two cycles you were always graciously encouraging others and lending a sympathetic ear and issuing colorful advice. Hang in there, Jen. You're going to be a great mom.

jenicini said...

Seriously, f-off nausea!

bunny said...

Man, I sure wish pregnancy could be all rainbows and kittens for you, after all you've been through. Nausea plus insomnia sounds like unequivocal HELL. Here's hoping it's just a temporary torment.

Lisa said...

So sorry that the 2nd tri is not going so well. I hope you have a turn around soon!

Oh my God you crack me up! When I read the part about humping your body pillow, it made me laugh very suddenly through my nose. I nearly sprayed the keyboard with snot. Hysterical. I also suffered through a lot of insomnia. I never could figure out the body pillow and dealt with hip pain until the very end. No fun.