Monday, June 14, 2010

Braxton Hicks

Ugh. That several-times-daily familiar tightening and relaxing of my growing gut has been happening all day today, since early this morning. It usually kicks up just a little at night, so this early start caught my attention. And the baby has been thoroughly kickboxing the shit out of me most of the day, which is also a bit off (but reassuring). I called the OB's office and spoke with the nurse, and we debated for a few minutes whether I should come in to see the OB or just go to the hospital. We settled on seeing the OB first, since I can't say for sure how many contractions are happening in any defined time period (it just feels like it's most of the time). I've also been feeling sort of nauseous all day, despite eating enough and on time, so my gut is (literally) telling me something isn't right. Well, shitty-shitty-bang-bang.

So, I had a good cry a little while ago since I am only 24 weeks and this has to stop and be okay, and now I'm trying to shift my attention toward work for another hour or so until I go in to find out what the fuck my uterus thinks it's up to. I told KB he doesn't need to come to the appointment because I would feel awful if he left work early for absolutely nothing. I realize it would be brighter not to tempt fate, like refusing to bring an umbrella just so it will fucking rain. But, whatever. Here's hoping I don't wind up in the hospital tonight. If they could start an IV in the office and pump a liter into me to see if rehydration helps, I would be so grateful. We shall see.

4 comments:

bunny said...

Scary! I hope people who know about these things give you lots of reassuring words of wisdom...and that it turns out to be nothing. Will be thinking of you.

Trinity said...

Oh no, Jen! I hope the OB visit brings some reassurance.This pregnancy is kicking the living shit out of you. :( Please keep us posted...

ASP said...

Sending lots of love. The same thing happened to our good friends at 25 weeks--they went to the ER and were told it was Braxton Hicks (who the hell is Braxton Hicks anyway?!) and sometimes this happens, you know the rest. They delivered a healthy 8lb baby boy yesterday. I know you don't need any assvice but this post reminded me of B and A, so I thought I'd share and maybe offer a little reassurance that sometimes this happens for no reason at all even when things are perfectly fine.

Kelly said...

Ugh.. this sucks. I really hope your appointment goes well and it gives you some peace of mind.