Sunday, November 28, 2010

"Enjoy Your Baby"

That's what the pediatrician says at the end of every visit. It's what the nurse said when we left the hospital nine (!) weeks ago. It's what my OB said at my six-week postpartum check-up.

I can see how some people might need reminding. It's grueling work, caring for a newborn baby. Sleeping in fits and spurts, being spit-up upon and cleaning up piles of poo, endless shushing and throwing your hands up in despair when he won't sit happily in his swing long enough for you to go to the bathroom, the inconsolable crying. This is all part of the package deal. And my package took several years, dozens of procedures, a million tears, and nearly $25,000 to arrive. But all that matters is that he did arrive.

And that package also includes the way he clings to you when you pick him up, nuzzles into your neck, falls asleep in your arms with a smile on his face, grins at you when you come into his room early in the morning, greedily nom-noms and gazes at you when he nurses. It's a gift every time he laughs at the silly songs Mommy and Daddy sing to him (somehow they all eventually devolve into "Camptown Races," but the subjects vary -- from "Jackson, don'tcha cry no more" to "Jackson is a milk monster, even scarier than Mothra"). His smell, the way he kicks while you change his diaper, when he reaches for your finger with a tiny hand -- gifts.

It's hard work, and every day I wish I had more sleep, more time to do things I want to do; but I am also grateful every day that I was given this opportunity, this enormous responsibility and incredible gift, to change dirty diapers and soothe tears. I don't expect the work to get any easier, but the reward grows every day.

I don't need to be reminded to enjoy my baby. I can't imagine my life any other way now, tough times and all.

6 comments:

'Murgdan' said...

Yep. A resounding YEP. :-)

bunny said...

Sniffle! That was awfully touching. I like the vague suggestion that your baby is a tasty treat (as in "enjoy your meal").

Trinity said...

I have a whole lotta love for this post. :)

Kelly said...

Awww...love it.

kdactyl said...

It is like you are speaking my own words....We were there too...2 years, 2 miscarriages, multiple procedures and $35k!....and worth every freaking penny. Just had our 2nd 2 weeks ago and it is even sweeter and better than the first time because it is like hitting the lottery twice! No...you don't have to be told to enjoy your baby....but it sure is nice that someone has a reason to say those words to those of us who have struggled soooo long and hard. I hope everyone who has ever struggled to create a family gets to hear it someday.
kd

JB said...

kd -- congrats! And enjoy your two babies. :)