Monday, June 20, 2011

38w4d

As of today, Jackson has been in my arms for as many weeks and days as he was growing in my belly. (We'll just gloss over the fact that 2 weeks of gestation time are actually bogus, since he was an immature, unfertilized antral follicle during those first couple of weeks; and that he spent his first 3 days of life as a freshly fertilized zygote living in a plastic tissue culture dish feasting on liquid culture medium and 5% CO2 in a sterile incubator. Details.)

And even though The Teething resulted in every-1.5-hour awakenings last night, and I am running on coffee and fumes this morning, and I am prepared to buy serious stock in infant Motrin and Orajel...this kid is the shit. When he falls asleep in my arms after nursing, I could hold him like that forever. When we play on a blanket in the yard and he curls up to cuddle, I can't help but smile (and choke back tears, sometimes). He is the best part of me and of KB, all wrapped up in one perfect little bundle. I'll take a million sleepless nights and growing pains so long as I have one of him.

8 comments:

Once Upon A Time said...

Happy "In-and-Out" Day! At least that's what I call it. ;-)

finch said...

I still can't believe my baby used to LIVE in me. (And a petri dish too, but somehow that doesn't seem nearly as unbelievable.) Jackson sounds like such a sweetheart. Hope the teeth things resolves soon.

kdactyl said...

Agreed and Agreed! Both my babies were born at 38 weeks 4 days!!!! And both are little IVF miracles...one even frozen in time for years before she came to us via embryo adoption! I will stay up all night every night if it means I never have to give them up or go back to the days where I was longing for them. This is exhausting...but oh so much better!
kd

hope4joy said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy for you. Sounds like heaven.

ASP said...

So sweet. I can't believe how quickly the time is passing. I wish there was a way to slow things dooooooown with these itty bitty people. Fun, fun about The Teething. I'm a planner (really, Type A? ;) so I already have the day and night versions of Orajel. I'm not looking forward to the teething days but I know they're coming soon for us too. Hope Mr. J is tearing into meat soon and his little gums are feeling better soon!

And I totally agree with kdactly about the staying up all night part instead of going back to the days of longing. Oh, how I don't miss those days.

bunny said...

Your arms must be so tired! HA!

Congratulations on all those months of motherhood--he really is so precious and sweet.

We were just talking about teething last night. I was like teeth coming out of your gums? Totally evidence against intelligent design, 'cause that's a super bad idea! I hope it's over soon...

kmina said...

Teething is a bitch. Honestly. George takes almost no solids, nurses like a two weeker, and is the fussiest he can be. He gums on cold pieces of fruit, Bavarian pretzels and he takes some yogurt. Naturally, sleep is awesome crap. But then, the tooth breaks through. And the dragon is shelved until the next time.
Still, having him is ten thousand times better than I could have ever imagined.
Great post. :-)

Roccie said...

You love that baby.

And it only gets better. Hard to believe, isn't it? But it somehow, some way manages to get better and better.