Thursday, June 9, 2011

This, That, and The Other Thing

This: Pre-pregnancy pants!
I rummaged through my closet last night to find interview* clothes and tried these on, tags still dangling, expecting to weep from a sausage-casing-like fit but instead discovered surprising comfort. Hells, yeah. I have a few more pounds to go to reach pre-pregnancy weight, and then a few more to get back to pre-IVF weight, but I'm getting close. And then I can try to wreck it all over again.**

*That: Oh, THAT! I had an interview today for a freelance writing job working with a university hospital department that needs a little help getting clinical papers finished (or in some cases, started) and submitted for publication. It would be a part-time contracting, sort-of-consulting, gig with occasional commutes into Ann Arbor. And I had a phone interview last week for a freelancing job at a pharmaceutical company near DC. That one, I got hired over the phone and have already started the paperwork. I'm excited to bring sexy back (okay, a second income, at any rate) since it will get us out of this house and into a new one sooner (we figure in just under 2 years is doable) but I'm also nervous about The Return of The Anxiety. That, we do not need. So I'm taking it one step at a time. My goal is to take on enough projects to work about 20 hours per week. I'm incredibly fortunate to have solid contacts in my field and for these opportunities to have fallen from the sky when they did, and I hope I can avoid being my own worst enemy and finding a way to fuck it up. It's a talent, y'all. Freelance writing can be quite lucrative if you keep at it, but I am most interested in the fact that I can earn that helpful second income, do something (working, being a scientist, writing) that defines part of who I am in a big way, and still preserve a big chunk of my week to devote to my family. And I can give myself a vacation (even if unpaid) whenever I want. Holla.

**The Other Thing: Or I can take time off to go back to my RE and try to get impregnated a second time. Yeah, so. That. KB and I have talked about this in general terms, most generally agreeing to revisit it after Jackson's 1st birthday. And that's a few months away now. *gulp* The plan in my head (where all good plans live) is to keep working out and eating rabbit food until I am back to my pre-infertility self (physically, at least, because emotionally and psychologically -- well, that's impossible) and establish my little freelancing thingy and then have a sit-down with our RE to discuss plans to start back at square one. See, remember, we of the poor-quality-embryo-making-guild have nothing on ice to transfer, so we have to start fresh. And that never went very well, either, oh we of the shitty-sperm-and-ovary-club. But we did hit one out of the park on cycle 3, aka Jackson, for which we added megadose vitamin C for him and her and Clomid plus Proxeed for him. We saw teensy weensy improvements in sperm and eggs, so perhaps we could do it again. Maybe it's possible to get pregnant in less than 3 cycles. Or maybe not. There's really only one way to find out. So, in my head there will be a consultation appointment in the late fall or early winter to arrange for new blood tests (yay!), another HSG (kickass!), and another semen analysis (woot!). And then we'll see what happens from there. Because who wouldn't want a little helper monkey to hang with this guy?

9 comments:

Lisa said...

So coy, and such kissable little toes! Cuteness overload!

The freelance writing gigs sound perfect, and hopefully you'll be able to keep the anxiety at bay. Good luck!

jenicini said...

First...love love love the expression in his eyes! Second...yay for fabulous consulting resulting in happy division of work/mommy-time and $$! Third...look at those pants! Whoot! Keep going with your twig eating self. :)

Kelly said...

Freelance work! Money! Thoughts of future babies! So much to love about this post...

bunny said...

HOT DAMN! Those pants are practically baggy! I hope you're feeling loads of accomplishment, and having some delightfully tasteless and low fat celebration... (And you're looking pretty fiiiiine to me, even daring to sport horizontal stripes over the hips, something I'd never attempt!)

I can totally see why you'd want to crank out a whole assembly line of adorable progeny, when the first one is such a success.

finch said...

Nice pants! I do believe they fit you perfectly. A 20 hour work week with days off whenever you want them sounds ideal.

It's amazing how quickly these kids grow up. Our Baby Part II project is also just around the corner, in theory, at least. Jackson would make an awfully cute big monkey...

hope4joy said...

The pants look great. Good for you. I think the interviews sound good also and limiting yourself to 20 hours a week is the smart thing to do. As far as baby #2. I am sure you will make the right decision for you. If you are getting back in the saddle I will be right here reading and praying with you.

kmina said...

Well, what can I say... KUDOS, my dear. Weight loss, new job on your terms, getting yourself back in the grinder - YOU can have it all. ;-)
Good for you, it's inspiring.

Roccie said...

Mighty is the woman who can wear horizontal stripes and rock it.

J-man 2 plans will always loom a little bit, wont they? Thank the law you make such fine looking and sweet, loving babies.

I hope the tries are few and the results are quick. Goes without saying.

Once Upon A Time said...

Yay you on the pants!

What a cutie!