Thursday, February 16, 2012

Undercover Mother

I made small talk for about three seconds with another patient at my RE appointment this morning. We had our blood drawn at the same time. We laughed about something stupid. The End. Until I dropped Jackson off at school and THERE SHE WAS. In the same sweatpants and unwashed ponytail she had at the clinic. (This is remarkable because I usually feel like the only woman in the waiting room still in my pajamas and a hat, while everyone else has perfectly coiffed hair and makeup and pants to commute to work after their appointment. I just go through the Starbuck's drive-through and head home to face another day of assmonkey clientele). She didn't see me at school (we were both in the parking lot headed to our cars after dropping off). And I resisted the urge to yell out, "Hey, infertility clinic pal! How's it hanging? Har-dee-har-har!" Unrequited infertility love.

I've never seen her at school before, but am now feeling super sleuthy and wanting to find out who she is. Maybe we'll see her at the spaghetti dinner in a couple of weeks. Maybe she's one of the moms who also volunteered to set up the parent fundraiser. Maybe we're on overlapping monitoring schedules and I'll see her at the clinic again. The possibilities are endless.

 

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

A possible cycle buddy?

Mina said...

Sorry for the ticket and the arsefaced client. But I think you master already a very useful skill needed in parenting: chosing your battles carefully. Your energy is precious, hold on to it.

What were the odds of meeting a fellow clinic goer while doing the school run? Well, considering most women there are into being mothers, not zero. Still, it holds potential, this meeting. Watch out.

Lisa said...

It's funny how quickly you can feel a kinship with someone when it comes to infertility.

Trinity said...

I would have completely geeked out, too...on the inside. I still haven't called the Homeschooling Doula Who Raises Grass Fed Cows. Anyway, this whiffs of infertility BFF kismet, dude. I hope you bump into her again soon!

bunny said...

Oooo, exciting! I hope she turns out to be your new best friend, 'cause how cool would that be! If you do get a chance, you have to take it! It's got to be one of the world's most awkward conversations, but hey...

Roccie said...

I had one of these gals too. Still havent seen her since Thanksgiving. I miss her but you know what I dont even know her name.

Le sigh.

ps - turn off your word verification mofo, it sucks.