Saturday, February 4, 2012

We Are All On Drugs

Ladies and Germs: May I present to you, Le Box De La Drugs.
(This is the fourth time I've received a big box o'drugs. IVF number four, y'all. Huh.)

I expected to pay ~$5,000 for this little pharma care package, but due to some strange cosmic mix-up resulting from KB's employer changing prescription drug coverage providers, I paid just under $2,000. What. I KNOW. Now we can afford to do at least 12 more cycles of IVF. Bring it. (Hey, Universe! Kidding, kidding! Just one cycle, pretty please and thank you I love you you look pretty today.)

I also discovered a new drug in the mix, some sort of super fun vag suppository. Without reading the label or bothering to google, I called the nurse to say, "Look, I'm already gonna get stabbed in the ass with PIO, I don't need to cram these up my crotchal region, too." But apparently reading is fundamental, because these are antibacterial/antifungal suppositories for use prior to transfer. I guess my RE thinks my vag is a skankswamp of whore-disease or something. Or it's just a new part of the protocol. (Jackson got my au natural vag for transfer, and now the new proto-baby will get transferred into my perfectly sanitary vag. So don't believe that second kids get short-changed on everything.) All I care about is that the order included the customary Vitamin V (vicodin) for post-retrieval and my solitary valium for pre-transfer. Oh, and the clinic now recommends mixing up all the injectables into one syringe to minimize the number of pokes. Huzzah.

10 comments:

Mina said...

I hope you did not struggle too much with accepting that mix up. :-)
Fingers crossed! May this one try be THE try to end all tries. Amen.

Rebecca said...

I had to read the skankswamp part to my spouse. He says, "she's brutal", and laughed. Oh and wants to know about the possibility of cross contamination with the drugs all being mixed into one syringe. Its a good question I have to admit. I'd worried about the mixture too.

ASP said...

Mixing drugs? Antibacterial suppositories (if you don't use all of them, I know someone who could...mainly for the whore-disease)? My how the times have changed since we last shot up!

I'm wishing with all my might, I have another husband (or girlfriend, if she so chooses) to set O up with in the near future! XXXXX

bunny said...

Oh man, the drugs makes it all so REAL! Can I have your Valium, 'cause I'm neeeeeeeervous. This takes me back to your last cycle and reminds me how hard I was hoping...time to get in shape for extra hard hoping again.

JB said...

Rebecca -- My RE actually loves my ute and my vag, and is always sure to tell me they both look beautiful. I think she wants to MARRY them. Hehe.

There's not much concern over contamination by mixing all into one syringe. The menopur is a lyophilized power that has to be reconstituted with saline and then sucked up into a separate syringe, so all I am doing is squirting the follistim and when it's time for antagonist, the ganirelix, into the menopur (using these premixed drugs as my diluent) and then sucking the whole thing up into the syringe for one injection instead of 3. The follistim and ganirelix come in preloaded pens/syringes that get jabbed into my skin, but now will take a detour into a sterile vial of menopur powder first. No biggie. And I assume there is some clinical experience with mixing to assure us all that administering in a single shot rather than 3 separate shots doesn't fuck with the pharmacokinetics or pharmacodynamics of the individual drugs (not sure why it would, since they all have distinct receptor targets and mechanisms of action, and end up all together in my bloodstream eventually anyway).

The End. :)

jenicini said...

Vag Cleaners! Awesome. I can't believe you are set to start on this road again! So excited for you! I'm also feeling quite a bit smarter now that I know what pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, and lyophilized mean. :D

Lisa said...

Let the good times roll! That's great that you get to mix everything into one shot. That was how my cycle worked and I was glad for just the one shot of burning pain in addition to the lupron each day.

Roccie said...

I think that box looks like a girl...

hope4joy said...

yea for one shot..double yea for vicodin. hoping like hell for you mama!

Once Upon A Time said...

Re- your comment on my blog: For now, we are having them sit on the actual toilet, no kiddie seat on top. I want them to get used to the real deal without anything extra, so that when out and about, it isn't an issue to use a public bathroom. If we had just one to potty train, I think I would do that completely instead of using a potty seat or chair. But since we have two kids, I need two options in the same bathroom to supervise both at the same time if duty calls. So we do have two BabyBjorn potty chairs that we will use if we need to. (I've heard they are the best chair to use.) I'm all for different options... I've heard of way too many kids that get too used to one way and then you are toting a potty chair everywhere you go because they won't use a regular toilet.