Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Dr. Frankenstein

Meet my monster:
We don't let people under 3 feet tall watch tv in our house (people over 5 feet tall watch puh-lenty of tv, however). But once in a while, since the laptop on the kitchen counter is closer than the remote to turn on the stereo, we fire up youtube to play music. Our favorite by far has been Dan Zanes, but recently we branched out to Muppets and Sesame Street.

Dunh-dunh-dunh.

At first, I was relieved because, damn, he sits there rapt for 20 minutes watching educational-ish stuff while I, I dunno, also sit. Which I enjoy immensely. But now? Jackson is addicted. He wants to watch Elmo ("Oh-mo! Want more Oh-mo!") before school, before dinner, and before bedtime. I have to convince him to get up to go outside and ride his new bike. A new bike, y'all. Maybe it needs a bell.

We're hoping that, like most obsessions, it passes or fades in time, since I don't want him watching as much tv as KB and I do (less these days, but still lots). Also, I am getting sick and tired of some of the shittier Sesame Street music videos. Will.i.am sucks. His lyrics can't even hold up in a kid's video. He can only rhyme "high" with "high," and "down" with "go." (We've also decided he's the third-worst rapper of all time, after those two other dudes in the Black Eyed Peas.) Feist, however, is delightful. One, two, three, four chickens just back from the shore....

And then there's this:
You are so welcome.

 

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Please tell me you've watched "I'm Elmo and I Know It." That's a big hit at our house. Good for you with the no TV. If I were a single mom it would never be on. Unfortunately my husband is an addict and I'm not up for being the nagging wife about it anymore. By the way, that's one cute monster you've got there. I envy those curls!

Jen said...

Love the cookie monster video; I think that made a round on Facebook a few weeks ago, but I didn't watch it for some reason. I obviously did not know what I was missing!

bunny said...

My guess? It ain't gonna pass. That shit is carefully designed to maximally fascinate kids and maximally drive parents nuts. I think the best you can hope for is variety. Like, he'll be ready for a change after a thousandy million reps, as your ears bleed. I am hoping that Bun Bun won't discover that TVs or computers or phones exist until college. We'll see...

Trinity said...

I have introduced Arlo to Sesame Street, too. I first started to watch it with him so that he would sit still through his nebulizer treatments last winter. Noble, right? But then, I started using it every now and then to take solo showers. I would fire up the laptop on the bathroom counter, and he would stand there before it, transfixed in a very, very creepy way. But, you know, when I silently peep on him through the shower curtain to find him clapping and bouncing his knees to the music, I melt a little. I'll admit it. His faves are the videos by OK GO (about primary colors) and Ziggy Marley (about bare feet, and I have to admit, I love this one, too). The Cookie Monster video made me GROAN, haha. I love that there are loads of vintage clips online, too--we have even seen a few that I remember from when I was little. Kinda cool.

He's been watching a bit of the Olympics in the evening lately, too. He gets so pumped for the running and hurdles. Crazy.

I was one of those people who swore my kid would watch no television before the age of 2, but here I am...

jenicini said...

Just wait...next thing you know you'll be singing BUBBLE GUPPIES!!!! Feist's song on SS is my absolute favorite though :D

Cheri said...

"Maybe it needs a bell." Oh, you always make me laugh. By all means, add a bell. You think that'll win out over "Oh-mo"?