Tuesday, September 18, 2012

When Life Gives You Lemons...

...forget about making lemonade because that's a sugary drink and you are diabetic now, moron.

I start glyburide 2.5 mg once daily today and we'll monitor sugars to adjust the dosage and timing as needed. And I start weekly NSTs next week at my 32-week appointment. I argued (gently) against doing these, since it only tells you how baby is doing right now. But I was countered with some flimsy suggestion that the data provide predictive information for a week out. (I suspect the only predictive info one would obtain from a less than stellar NST is "we're going to do more frequent NSTs.") What am I going to do, tell my OB that I'm okay with putting the baby at some immeasurable risk?

The two main things I feel right now are 1) anger, that my body can't give me or this baby a break and 2) defeat, that there's nothing I can do about any of this but play along and cross my fingers. If I don't go into spontaneous labor by 40 weeks they will induce. If he measures too big (I don't know how growth scans factor into this yet, but it seems inevitable I will get one or more) at any point then we will plan for either an induction or C-section by 39 weeks. Anger and defeat. The dynamic duo.

For grins, here's a gratuitously cute video of the child I did not endanger in utero with diabetes.

video

 

6 comments:

jenicini said...

I think every infertile who manages to get pregnant should get to have a perfectly easy pregnancy where everything happens naturally. ;D Unfortunately we often get hit with the crappiest most annoying sh*t. Thinking about #2, I'm not sure if I'm more angry about having to go through treatments or the fact that my incompetent crappy cervix will probably be a huge PITA. Hang in there! Love the video of J!

jenicini said...

I think every infertile who manages to get pregnant should get to have a perfectly easy pregnancy where everything happens naturally. ;D Unfortunately we often get hit with the crappiest most annoying sh*t. Thinking about #2, I'm not sure if I'm more angry about having to go through treatments or the fact that my incompetent crappy cervix will probably be a huge PITA. Hang in there! Love the video of J!

Roccie said...

Rock that shit and buy Momma a big ole house we can watch on Cribs.

Your sis is a trademark crack up.

kdactyl said...

Jen...don't be too hard on yourself. I had to take the glibe and it worked perfectly...it was just that little bit my body needed. AND...I had a perfectly normal sized baby (granted...I was having a repeat c-section so I didn't have the worry you do)...but don't let them scare you with size too early....you are still in charge of your own care. If you want to try delivery before the c-section option...that is your choice and is not harmful to baby...if it looks like he doesn't like it or your body can't do it...u then make the next decision. Don't let them make any early decisions for you. Just do the monitoring and go with your gut...it doesn't mean you are putting your baby at risk. You have already had a baby vaginally so you have that to your advantage. DR.s are just playing a game of CYA and sometimes the early inductions or automatic c-sections are more detrimental than following your own instincts about your own body and your own child.

Anonymous said...

Stupid, sucky, pointless, unfair bullshit. I'm sorry. But don't blame your body--you need it right now! And don't blame yourself, you need her too. To make acorn cookies.

Let's just hang on to the hope that all this will end with a nice medium sized, perfectly healthy baby making his own way out into the world.

Mina said...

The main reason I was induced for, both times, was low fluid. And this is what the doctor extensively monitored every week. You can't honestly not go, even though it is bothersome and not really reassuring. But what if something happens? Can you live with yourself and this awful thought that by not going you might miss a very important thing in keeping your baby safe? No, you can't. So you go.
Not long now. Hang on. You didn't do it on purpose. I hope the meds do the trick and the sugar levels behave.
Take care.